Yummy !

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Finally Following My Dream !!!

    So, Everyone who knows me knows my obsession with everything sweet. Desserts, chocolates, candies, etc. After using all of my friends as "test subjects" and my family & dear hubby as my harshest critiques I am finally doing what I love......Baking Professionally. Well, sort-of anyway. I have baked for free forever, now I have finally started taking classes on decorating & am actually getting paid to do what I love. I just became the baker for my sons midlle school, as well as started the process to get my health inspection & business licence (and tax id, etc) so I can run my own bakery from home!!!!! I want a storefront more than anything but untill I can get the $$$ I need to start small. Working from home hopefully I can make a little extra $$$ , and then I have something to show the bank when the time comes that I apply for a loan to get my own place. DId I mention making a business plan kinda SUCKS!!!!
    Since I absolutely love to shop I have having a blast shopping for all kinds of cool baking supplies, tools, and decorations. I ordered a few bakery boxes online and having a challenging time finding storage caddies and little shelves & such to keep my stuff accessible but neatly away in the kitchen (plus it has to match & look cute!) so, I have been happily busy.  I have a sanitation class (2 days) next week and got a working camera so I can take pictures of my creations.
   Karl & I made some awesome strawberries & cherries this past sunday & the kids & I had some cupcake fun on monday but I didn't get to take pics. Also learned how to make a few different flowers out of fondant & gum paste ( pansies are the WORST!) and getting pretty good at making roses with royal icing. The icing consistancy is the hardest though. First it was too soft, then too stiff, so my flowers were either wilty looking as they hardened or the petals started to crack if I made them too big. Well, they say practice makes perfect and I have been practicing like crazy :-)
  I'm also going to be making some sponge candy tomorrow. We fell in love with it back in new york, it's a buffalo thing. I figured if I can get it to break pretty even (maybe try cutting it with a bread knife or something & see how that works) I can dip it in chocolate & put a royal icing flower ( like little rosebuds or apple blossoms) on the top. as delish as the candy is, its all about presentation to me. It totally has to look super cute as well as be super yummy.  I made the hershey's cookie pie (with a few tweaks to make it my own) and as yummy as it is it just doesnt look as pretty. I am thinking of putting less chocolate chips in the pie & then making a chocolate ganash top so that I can maybe put some buttercream rosettes or something on top, make it look better. Now, my worry is that it is so utterly rich on it's own, the ganash & buttercream might just make it too sweet to eat (yes, that actually is possible,lol). Any suggestions???? Well, thats my weeekend project along with perfecting the royal icing in this humidity (but I have central air so I really dont think it's that humid indoors). 

   Looking forward to seeing your feedback, idea's suggestions, etc. I might not post daily but I will make a point of posting weekly with my creations and disasters!

No comments:

Post a Comment