Yummy !

Thursday, August 5, 2010

More Cupcakes!

  So, I tried this recipe today for a vanilla buttercream cake (circa 1950's) and since it was for a 2 layer 8" cake I decided to make it 1 1/2 times the amount so i could make a good 3 layer 9" cake and a few cupcakes. Well, my 9" pans are gone just have 1. decided I did not want to bake 1 layer at a time so another set of cupcakes for us,lol. used my 2 trays of minis (total 48) and a tray of regular sized (another 12) and it was just perfect! how on earth we will eat 60 cupcakes is beyond me! Luckilly I will be working in the school soon so I will have lots of people to to give my samples to. I dont know what the regs are about selling home baked goods from your home before I get my health inspection. I was informed I wont actually get a certificate, they just inspect me and tell me what I need. I need to send then my water bill though (oops, it said that in the application). I guess people do it all the time, thats why its one of the things you can do from home (it's considered low risk food). 
   O.K. back to the cupcakes. I gave adrianna and lukas half the big ones and about 12 of the small ones to decorate. they had fun with that but they used the first batch of buttercream , so basically (really melty) time for second batch (Karl hates the buttercream with the shortning in it) so again I used a half pound of unsalted butter, a half pound of cream cheese, my tupperware container of powdered sugar (about 4 cups?) and about another pound after that (maybe another 4 cups?) sifted the heck out of it. used almond & vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, about 1 1/2 tbsp of meringue powder, then a few tbsp of milk, whipped it for abut 12 min at low, till it was fluffy & formed some semi stiff peaks. I wasnt going for royal icing stiff but i definatly wanted it firmer than melty,lol. OMG, it was perfect!!!! noe my measurements for the sugar & milk is not exact, that was just a little more of this & a little more of that till it looked like what i wanted. but super yummy. Now I did stillhave some of the buttercream (with the shortening) left over from the weekend so i did make a few cupcakes with that one. it was firm, smooth, and just the perfect consistancy. I see why they reccommend it for class , so much easier to use. im gonna work on that one with some extracts and see how i can get the flavor i want so i can use it more often.
   Now the card I had the cake mix recipe on had a buttercream recipe where I melt the sugar but I will takle that recipe sometime next week when I can dig my candy thermometer out of the "baking box". Did I mention we just moved here last month so I still have a ton of boxes and stuff everywhere. Besides, I have been putting off making my cherries and they need to sit in the fridge for at least a week (preferable 2) for the "fondant"  to turn into a yummy cordial type filling. So tomorrow I'm back to the store for more powdered sugar, I will proabably find something else I dont need but want them.
  Well I decorated a few of the mini's with my full size flowers  which reminds me (buy cake pans) lol. anyways i took some pics (will post in a few) of the cupcakes so you can see my practice flowers. I'll try to get a cake made this weekend and practice my floral placement, focal points, etc.  For anyone local that plans on coming over to dinner anytime soon or invites us over, I will be bringing cake, or cupcakes, or both. be prepared for the sugar!!!
  Off food, I went to the podiatrist today , got some cortizone shots (OUCH!!!) he gave me some orthodics & a night slint (boot looking thing) will see me back in 2 weeks & then every month after that. apparently I have none spurs in my heels as well as the underside of my foot. I have plantar facitis? (sorry if my spelling sucks, if you know me, it always does) Anyways, I have had the pain in my feet forever but this past winter in NY really made the pain pretty unbearable. after moving down south and getting some time at home I finally called a podiatrist, got in and after the x-rays my diagnosis. Well, he said I should feel some improvement in the next few weeks and in about 16 weeks he will reevaluate if this is working or if i have to go to "the next step" I said as long as it's not surgery then whatever's clever works for me. I HATE the idea of having surgery. When I had the miscarriage in june and they had to keep me in the hospital and told me they had to put me under (general anesthesia) UUGGHHH, I got scared. so anything that involves me getting put to sleep while i am possibly being cut open is just petrifing!!!! if I could stay awake while they did whatever they have to do then I dont think it would bother me as much.
     Sidenote, our friend Josh (my friend Kim's hubby) just got back from deployment overseas so YEAH!!!! It's always nice when they get back home safe & sound. Our other friends Chantelle & Bill just relocated back home. Bill was just medically retired from the marine corp (just like my own dear hubby) and they moved back home to the state of washington. I hope moving home works out better for them than it did for us, but since they go back like every chance they got, it's really almost like they never left. MISS YOU CHANTELLE!!!!!!!  Ok, so I wrote a book today instead of a update, this will make up for the days of silence in between.

1 comment:

  1. So I posted the pics of the flowers on the bottom of the page. I am not computer savvy by any means so if anyone knows how to make the slideshow smaller so i can post next to the blogs or better yet add it to the bottom of the post I Type please let me know!

    ReplyDelete